BotHack

BotHack makes getting things done easy and fun. Delving deep into the technoweb, BotHack brings back simple and totally life-altering tips and tricks for managing your information and time. At this wild moment in the development of human-oriented technology, BotHack is your own personal early adopter, here to guide you through the onslaught of the new. The world is full of fascinating problems waiting to be solved: BotHack can help.

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Hipster and NoteTaking : Round Up

For those of you who love your Hipster PDAs I give you a link to a great page with tips, tricks and templates to help you get the most out of the little guy.

A. E. Baxter, of slow burn productions, explains his, ahem, passion for his Hipster PDA:

"When I get obsessed with something, I get REALLY obsessed with it. My girlfriend is usually blindsided by this, and in this instance she woke up one Saturday morning to find me setting up a new printer that would handle 3X5 cards, surrounded by scattered half-printed or screwed up DIY Planner: Hipster PDA edition templates.

I tried EVERY suggestion for templates, modifications, and additions that I’ve linked here, and more just from reading forum posts or seeing others’ ideas on Flickr. I put together about 4 different hpdas before I finally found one that I actually use consistently."

He goes on to explain, in some detail, his findings. There’s some really good stuff in here. If you’re into your Hipster PDA, give it a look.

I wish I’d had a system in place for my own notetaking when I was a high school student. The Cornell Notetaking method looks like a great way to take organized and concise notes that you actually get something out of. It’s similar to what I do for meeting notes but a bit more focused.

It’s a system and a format that builds on what is known as the 5R’s of note taking. Record, Reduce, Recite, Reflect and Review. The format itself I find especially intriguing, the use of a “cue column” seeming really beneficial to those, like me, who tend to go pretty free form with their notes.

For those wishing to try it out, reader Ryan Stewart has created a neat little application for generating custom PDFs for use with the method. Nice work Ryan.


Die Dulci Fruere

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home