BotHack

BotHack makes getting things done easy and fun. Delving deep into the technoweb, BotHack brings back simple and totally life-altering tips and tricks for managing your information and time. At this wild moment in the development of human-oriented technology, BotHack is your own personal early adopter, here to guide you through the onslaught of the new. The world is full of fascinating problems waiting to be solved: BotHack can help.

Saturday, March 03, 2007

My interview with Amazon- a geek’s account of his experiences being interviewed by Amazon

Justin Rudd has a funny account of his experiences attending Amazon’s interview.

A snippet

The next day, I get a call from a senior developer. He explains what the process will be and how long it will take. The very first question - why do you want to work at Amazon? Now I knew this was coming. Every interview I’ve ever had I get asked this. But I ignored my cardinal rule and wasn’t prepared with a good answer. I had general ideas about why I wanted to work there -

Humorous - “I’ve spent enough money there over the years. I’d like Amazon to give some of it back.”
Greedy - “I want to move to WA”
Technical - “I want to work on truly large systems”
In the end, those are all reasons why I wanted to work there. But the last one - work on truly large systems - is the one I told him. There are very few truly large systems in the world. Everybody says they want a developer that can build a scalable system, but Amazon, Microsoft, Google, Yahoo!, and a few others are the only ones that truly do need those types of people. To work with datasets that encompass millions of orders a day is a humbling experience.

Read the post here.



Die Dulci Fruere

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home